Saturday, March 23, 2013

Building the Port


 

The Sea wall at Sausalito is one of the most distinctive features of the layout.  It covers the whole front edge so I wanted it to be well detailed.  I started by getting a lot of 1/4" dowels and sawing them up in to close but random lengths.  When they built walls like this they used a pile driver and the posts are slightly different heights.  I used a razor saw to rough up the poles along the grain and cut notches and other imperfections.
To stain the posts I soaked them in alcohol with a small amount of India ink and a dab of burnt umber oil paint. the oil paint does not dissolve quickly so I wait a couple of days before using the mixture. I soaked the posts overnight by dumping them in to a jar with the mixture andthen fishing them out and drying them on a piece of wax-paper.
I glued the posts to the edge of the wharf with yellow glue. I glued strips of balsa along the front and stained it also.  On the balsa strips I glued on Grandt Line nut-bolt-washer detail parts previously painted with burnt umber.  Along the bottom of the posts I painted the posts a greyish color to represent barnacles.
Closeup of the pilings.


The water was done by painting Sap Green, black an yellow ochre acrylic paints in patches and mixing them with a brush.  I used a lot of paint and brushed in one direction and left it streaky.  Over this I put a heavy layer of thick Gloss gel Medium which I shaped with a brush to make waves.

The Gel medium is still drying.  After several days it will become clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment